After I finished the Marsh Marigolds I thought it would be fun to continue on with the wildflower theme. Since working with yellow was so uplifting I chose Ladyslippers. I enlarged my drawing and printed out a full size cartoon.
Knowing where the flowers and leaves would conceal all or most of the background helped me eliminate the piecing behind these areas. I selected a palette of gray with violet overtones and the primary color.
I thought it would provide good contrast with the green and yellow of the flowers.
But it did not. The desaturated photo shows there is no value contrast (!)
I needed darker and/or lighter values for my subject. I decided to try a selection of darker greens for the leaves knowing full well that yellow was going to be a problem. I free pieced a selection of greens with the intention of cutting the assemblies into the leaf shapes.
The contrast was OK but after I made several assemblies and pinned them against the background I saw something different, an overhead view of parks or gardens in an urban location. That’s a new piece.
I didn’t want to applique these over the quilted background. I decided to piece them with the neutral urban colors and go use lighter grays and beige fabrics. I have been auditioning possible layouts:
Meanwhile, I decided that dark green and red would work best on midtone grays of the quilted background. And that a more delicate flower would suit the composition. So I changed the focus to another favorite wildflower, the cardinal flower, which blooms right down by the lake.
So now I have:
1. A Ladyslipper compostion on paper.
2. Pieces that hopefully will become “Urban Parks” or something like that.
3. A background and kind of a plan for Cardinal Flowers.
None of the above will be finished quickly since I have some travel plans coming up. But it will be nice to come back to all three of these with fresh eyes.