I can’t believe it took me over a month to make the final decisions on this piece and finish it up. Talk about slow design. Seems like every time I walked into the studio (and it was far too few times in the past few weeks) that I would rearrange some of the strips connecting the big blocks. Nothing major but I just couldn’t seem to get it right.
In the meantime I dealt with “stuff” and deadlines but I kept this up on the design wall. Then finally two weeks ago moved a few strips around and suddenly it looked right. So I took a photo and looked at it in Photoshop. I rotated it 90 degrees and I still liked it. I rotated it another 90 degrees and it looked right. And once more & I liked this one best. So I was ready to fused down the final elements and finished the quilting.
Since I had to reassemble it after the triptych experiment it was very heavy. I have a brand new Viking Sapphire and what a big difference the 10″ extended sew surface made. I usually mount my work on stretchers but this one was too heavy so I made a traditional binding and two sleeves so it could be hung either way.
Working with the challenge fabric and a different color palette was a challenge. Working intuitively without a plan was a bigger challenge. I would have liked to have completed the challenge in a more timely manner but I enjoyed the journey and I learned a lot by working on this piece.