May was the month that didn’t want to let me into the studio. Yardwork, a show to install, work to deliver out of town and a bunch of other tasks combined to make it nearly impossible to get any time for art. And projects with hard deadlines had to come first.
But I managed to find the time to quilt the backgrounds for what was going to be my triptych for Judy’s fabric challenge. And every time I would come into the studio I would rearrange blocks and strips:
I cut some components up and I sewed some new ones. But no matter what I did I wasn’t quite happy. But I did like the connecting strips and I starting thinking of them as pathways connecting the larger constructs. And then I decided that its not meant to be a triptych.
So I folded over the black border and started butting up the sections. First this way:
Then this way:
And I think this second layout has possibilities. (The bright pink strip is just a placeholder). And I like it horizontal as well as vertical so that must mean something.
All those weeks of playing at slow design have changed the whole piece. Its a lot less boxy and its telling me that its called “Connections” so I will be adding more connections as I go but at least I know the next step.