Last week members of the Northern Michigan Textile Artists met at North Central Michigan College for deconstructed screen printing workshop. I took a 5-day workshop in this technique with Kerr Grabowski a few years ago. I love the process but am usually limited to summertime when I can do this type of work outside. So I decided to join in the fun at the college. The first week we prepared our screens with MX Procion dyes that had been mixed with print paste. We laid the screens over a variety of found objects before applying the thickened dyes. I used bubble wrap, a mesh vegetable bag, rubber bands, toothpicks, etc.
I got 9 “pulls” from the first screen and they varied from dark to light. Here’s a close up of one from the middle of the run.
I had high hopes for the second screen. The large circular element is a placemat that I thougtht would be striking.
But when I removed it from the dried screen most of the dye stuck to the placemat rather than the screen. The results were disappointing. The color is not bad but the detail is not what I had hoped for.
I had time for one more small screen. I placed down brown craft paper and scattered toothpicks. Then used what a could scrounge at the end of the session–a mixture of red and orange that wound up a gorgeous red-orange that reminds me of nasturtiums.
I have six small pieces but they are the most interesting results from the workshop. I’ve already cut the fabric and plan to take it to the Focus on Fiber retreat with me next week and do something with most, if not all, of it.