Recently I was asked to participate in the SAQA Visioning Project. The initiative couldn’t have come at a more opportune time. Lately I have felt that I wasn’t getting much work done and I certainly wasn’t pleased with what I was producing. In fact most of it went into the trash. So I have set a goal to create a series of at least 12 related works that portray the natural beauty of my surroundings. I’ve started with a spring image – showy pink lady slippers
Part of setting my one-year goal was to go back and review earlier works that I enjoyed creating. I looked at both the art dolls and the quilts and found some common threads. One in particular that stood out was my love for combining fabrics to create visual texture. In my current love affair with surface design techniques this aspect of my work got had gotten lost. So rather than trying to create the prefect hand dyed fabric for the background I decided to free piece it.
And I think it looks like the weedy grassy area where these wild orchids are found. I enjoyed the process so much that I created a dark green border in the same fashion.
The finished piece is destined for the Michigan Quilt Artist Invitational show and I’m not supposed to show it until the opening but I am going to use the same techniques for some similar work as soon as I finish up on a commission.